Many a time you might think to soundproof your home for various reasons. But the knowledge of how to soundproof a window can be crucial. This is a way you can stop the sound from inside of your house to go out and outside sounds coming inside the house.
While working from home soundproofing, the atmosphere is important. Even if there is a critical patient in your house, soundproofing is a must. So, you might need to know the way to soundproof a window of your home.
Here, you will be able to get to know some of the common DIY approaches of how to soundproof a window of your home and which tools you need for doing so.
Why It Is Important to Soundproof a Window of a House
Windows are one of the main sources of natural light inside the house. In other words, you can say a window is the heart of a room. For someone who likes natural light in his home, having windows is a must to ensure his comfort.
If you see in the wall, the window part is the thinnest one. So obviously this part is most likely to send out the noise of the inner environment and vice versa. So such noises can surely disturb the people of the house if the window is not soundproof.
When you figure out the source of the noise, a particular window can be the answer to it. After finding out the exposure of your window to create a noisy environment, you should start working on soundproofing it.
After doing this job you can expect to have a calm environment inside your house.
How to Soundproof a Window of Your House
There are different ways of soundproofing a window. You can choose a way that seems appropriate according to your circumstances.
Here I will try to show you the ways that would cost you little or no money. So, try to choose the best way that is going to serve your purpose well.
Not having any gap around the window
When you try to look closely you might find some gaps around the window. Especially to the places where there is a connection with the wall.
The sound may come from such gaps. It may create a significant disturbance in the inner environment of your house. There are so many ways of getting rid of such gaps that you can surely consider. You can use Acoustic Caulk or weather stripping tape to seal the gap.
You can pick the material that you think matches your window and the wall.
Best Window Sealants
- No tooling required, levels itself
- Water immersible after cure
- Able to bridge gaps up to 1.5 in. wide
- Paintable, stainable, sandable
- Flexible and durable
- Contractors OEM+ Quality - Slip Coat Finish
- SECURE SEAL: Trim-Lok’s EPDM dense rubber window locking gasket provides a secure weather strip seal solution between a metal or fiberglass body panel and a glass or plexiglass window. Use it in playgrounds, safety equipment, cars, trucks and much more.
- ONE- OR TWO-PIECE LOCKING ACTION: The Trim-Lok locking gaskets are available in either one-piece and two-piece styles. The two-piece requires a mating locking key for an even more secure seal. The mating locking key is sold separately.
- WEATHER-RESIST: With outstanding color stability, high heat resistance and the ability to resist the elements, these rubber window locking gaskets can be used in a wide range of industries and applications. General temperature rating of -40°F to +212°F.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Lubricate with soap and water, silicone-based spray, or any lubricant that won’t damage your substrate. Then, slide glass in bottom first. May require glass trim and gasket installation tools, sold separately.
- VARIETY OF DIMENSIONS: Different widths and lengths, are available for various glass thicknesses and sizes. This one-piece locking action (inline) window gasket fits 1/4” glass and 1/8” edge and comes in a 25-foot-long piece.
Blocking the entire window
You can entirely block a window; this will let you block all those unwanted sounds from the outside.
But there are certain things that you must be sure of before blocking the window completely.
This is a very easy process to do. Yet, once you block your window there will be little or no light that will get into your room. Are you ready to compromise with that?
If not, then this is going to be a hard deal for you.
So to let the light enter into your house and blocking the sound at the same time you have to go for a different approach. There are quite a few DIY ways.
The main idea is to block the gap of the window. You can use insulation panels to block the window. This is pretty easy to do and cheap. This is an effective way of blocking the noise. Though not so much appealing to look at.
But you can consider having a fiberglass soundproof blanket to cover your window to get better soundproofing. For this, you might need to spend a little bit more money.
- Stops 96% of Radiant Heat Loss/Gain. Up to 30% of Heat Loss and Gain is through Windows and Doors!
- ‘New’ double thickness Thermal Reflective Foil Panels helps maintain desired room temperature.
- Keeps Heat in during the 'Winter' months and helps keep Heat out in the ‘Summer’ months. Use when required.
- Great for bedrooms, basements and any room with poor temperature control.Installs and Removes easily.
- DO-IT-YOURSELF Complete Kit. Easy to follow Instructions. Comes complete with all Material and Instructions
- Panels have bound hems, double nickel plated brass grommets 12" O.C. along top and 18" O.C. along side edges for fastening to adjacent panels
- Double faced material in nominal 2" thickness, for use as an absorber, or combination barrier/absorber
- Measures 4' width by 8' height by 2" thickness
- Pack of 1
Choose Soundproof Curtain
In all the attempts of soundproofing a window, you can think about having soundproofing curtains. Having such curtains doesn’t ensure a 100% effective solution but it certainly works by lessening it.
On the other hand, you will certainly need curtains for your windows. So, why not buy the ones that certainly try to lessen the noise from the outside?
These soundproof curtains make your home even more appealing and it hides away the inside home environment from the outside. Thus it ensures the privacy of the house.
Moreover, it has a huge role in lessening the echo of a certain room. The materials of the curtain soak up the sound of the room and thus it helps to make the room even quieter.
It also hides away the foam that you might have used in your window. Try to maintain the appropriate length of your curtains according to the window. Doing so, you can expect to get an even better result.
- Color: we marked Burgundy, some customer think it is Red. FABRIC: Super soft 300gsm heavy weight velvet matt finish. Add a touch of luxury to your home with solid velvet curtain panel.
- PACKAGE: Set includes 1 piece 52Wx63L inch panel. Order more quantity to create fullness and coverage.Each panel has 1 pc tieback.
- QUALITY: The material features make it keep the hot air out and the air conditioning in and in the winter will keep the cold out. it has been laboratory-tested to block out over 90 percent of outside light and up to 40 percent of unwanted noise.
- MATCH: Add a touch of luxury to your home with solid velvet curtain panel. It’s rich color coordinates well with any room setting. Super soft hand feel. Create a comfortable, dark sleep environment.
- WASHING:Machine washes cold, gentle cycle. Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low heat, cool iron as needed.
NICETOWN 3 Pass Microfiber Noise Reducing Thermal Insulated Solid Ring Top Blackout Window Curtains/Drapes
- READY MADE: Set includes 2 BLACKOUT PANELS of 42" wide x 84" length with 6 grommets top each. Quality fabric without liner feels soft and heavy.
- SERVE WELL: Curtains impede 85%-99% light and UV rays(Dark color curtains work well). Noise-reducing, better TV viewing thanks to the innovative triple weave technology.
- ENERGY SMART: Triple weave blackout fabric balances room temperature by insulating against summer heat and winter chill. Protect your furniture, floors, and artwork from the ravages of the sun, the drapes will pay for themselves off over time.
- GOOD TO GO: Thread trimmed and wrinkle-free, ring (1.6-inch inner diameter) fits easily with standard curtain rods. All sets for you to put them up right away.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: NICETOWN blackout curtains are made to last. Machine washable in cold water, tumble dry. Quick ironing or steam clean when needed. Visiting the NICETOWN store, find out your favorite curtains.
- 3in1 solution: Soundproof, Blackout and Thermal insulation - Patented Technology
- According to test laboratories, the sound energy is folded by 4, reaching a drop of up to 7 decibels*
- Insulate your home: this 3in1 curtain also helps to reduce heating and cooling costs and blocks out 100% of the light and UV
- Sold as single panel - Rust Proof Grommets (1.6 inch inner diameter), Easily adjustable to the height of your windows with iron-on tape (provided), bottom sewn with an overcast seam
- >>> PLEASE READ OUR BUYING GUIDE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS
Rearrange the Furniture
We all know that sounds travel through the air. It keeps moving this way until it gets a surface. In this stage, either that sound passes through the surface or bounce off. In the process, each time it gets a block like this, it loses some of its energy and eventually dies.
Lessen the sound that comes from the outside from your window is to have more of such obstacles. To do so, you can add more furniture to your home or rearrange the existing ones. You can add a surface that is soft and uneven. Such a surface can absorb unwanted sound.
These natural methods will not cost you anything. But it can to some extent solve the noise problem that you are facing from your window.
So, why shouldn’t you give it a try?
Pick Thick Material Blinds or Shades
This is just another way of soundproofing your window. Though it will not soundproof the atmosphere fully, you can try it out to lessen the sound.
Choosing this type of option will be a very pleasant experience for you. It is not much pricey and the installation process is pretty quick and easy. So, you won’t be facing any hassles for this.
It will surprisingly reduce the noise from the outside atmosphere. It will work best when you install it to your window along with another method of blocking the noise from the outside atmosphere.
Moreover, after installing the Windows shades, you get the opportunity to control the light of the home. Having such shades to your home will ensure the privacy and peace inside your home.
While choosing the material blinds or shades you have to make sure they are enough thick. Normally they are thicker comparing to the other regular shades. Also try to see, if they have the unique honeycomb combination. Having such a feature it absorbs even more noise and reduces the wave of the sound.
- ATTENTION PLEASE READ. We can customize these child safe cordless cellular shades up to an 1/8th of an inch. Once you click your size and color you will see a "Customize Now" button on the top right. You then type inside the window frame mount or outside the window frame mount and your exact measurements to the 1/8th of an inch. Order slightly larger sizes in the drop down before customizing. For example, if you need 24 1/2w x 48 1/2 order the 25w x 49h size and then customize it from there.
- For an INSIDE THE WINDOW FRAME MOUNT, fill out the customization form with the exact measurement of the opening to the 1/8th inch and WE will take a 3/8 inch deduction off the exact measurement given so the shade will fit perfectly in that opening. The shade has to be slightly smaller then the opening to fit inside. Again we take the deduction so give us the exact opening to the 1/8th inch. You need at least 1 1/4 inch of depth at the top of the window for an inside mount.
- For an OUTSIDE the window frame mount we take no deductions- provide us with the exact size you want the shade to come when filling out the customization form. Outside mounts are traditionally mounted above the window opening, and go slightly wider than the opening. These are child safe cordless light filtering cellular shades which are also known as pleated shades or honeycomb shades. They are light-filtering, and offer complete privacy.
- We can do any size from 21 to 72 wide and 24 to 72 high for these cellular shades. Semi-gloss finish PVC head rail & bottom rail and color coordinated to match your shade. The head rail dimensions are 1 5/8" deep and 1" high. You need at least 1 1/4" of depth. Flush mount is 2" and we take a 3/8 inch deduction for an inside mount. Limited lifetime warranty, and and free shipping is included, within the continental US. All Hardware is Included.
- These are BOTTOM-UP ONLY. If you need top down bottom up please visit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081168XKR?ref=myi_title_dp We no longer send out customization emails because you can now customize your order when you place it. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ROUND UP TO THE INCH FOR BOTH WIDTH AND HEIGHT IN THE DROP DOWN. This prevents the chance of jumping a price grid which can cause a price difference when customizing the shade. Call us at 1-800-655-1080 with any questions.
- Soft, wrinkle-resistant fabric in unique honeycomb construction offers year-round style and insulation against heat and cold
- Cordless lift simplifies window controls and eliminates dangling cord hazards, making this an ideal choice for homes with children or pets
- Can be mounted inside or outside the window opening, and all brackets, hardware, and installation instructions are included
- Actual width is 1/2" shorter than the stated width to allow for inside mounting
- This product complies with Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) child safety guidelines
- Cordless lift system is perfect for homes with children or pets, and has been certified "Best for Kids"
- Cordless Cellular shades help insulate windows while softly filtering light and providing privacy when lowered
- Blind has 1/2 inch deduction from stated width and can be mounted inside or outside the window frame
- Cordless lift system provides a clean, fresh look by eliminating the need for operating cords
- All mounting hardware is included, and size is measured as width x height
Making A Window Plug
If you are a DIY lover then this one is for you!
This is a complete DIY project that can be done by you entirely. You can build a soundproof window plug for the windows of your house pretty easily, a low budget and temporary solution. Be wary that will not let you mess with the window for a while. So before going for a permanent solution you can surely try this out. This affordable way of blocking sound from your window works well.
To make a window plug all you need to plug them in an opening of a window when you need to reduce or block the sound from the outside. After meeting your purpose you can decide to simply remove them. This is a very worthy method with almost no cost.
Through this method, you can control the noise that comes through your window inside your house.
This project is a DIY project so all you need is you as manpower. It is a great window soundproof solution without making you spend a good amount of money.
Get Soundproofing Kit
Well, this is an easy approach to solve the noise problem coming from your window.
You can just simply buy the soundproofing window kit that is commonly available around the market. This kit is specially designed to serve this particular purpose. It comes with a compact package. That means all the necessary parts needed are readily available with it.
Through using all these tools you can build your version of the soundproof window for your home. To do so, all you need is just a screwdriver.
There are some aspects that you must keep in mind while using this soundproofing window kit. Like,
It takes significant time and effort from you to install.
You get to keep the light coming to your home through this.
You can remove it for cleaning purposes.
It is a bit costly comparatively.
It is more prudent to use it as an alternative option.
So, it is quite clear that the soundproofing kit comes with some pros and cons. So, it is you who will decide if it will serve your purpose or not.
- Knock Out Annoying Noise Coming Through Your Windows(s)
- Easily Installed, Easily Removed For Cleaning , Etc.
- Installs in Minutes With Provided Screws .
- If You Have a Screw Driver and Know How to Use It . You're In !
Add an Extra Layer of Glass
Okay, this is just another DIY project that you can try for sure. But, this is not going to be an easy one.
Theoretically, the process is really simple but doing it takes some real effort. To minimize the noise that comes from the outside of your house you can choose to attach a piece of acrylic or glass. You can do it over the inside of your window.
This method is an effective one in terms of all DIY projects of soundproofing all the windows of your house.
While doing so, you will have to make sure that the new layer of glass hugs the window glass very tightly. To achieve such a state, you might have to install a metal frame on your window. Then you will have to use some sort of special magnets this will hold the glass sheet with the frame.
Having Soundproof Blanket to Getting Rid of the Noise
Another thing that you can try is using the soundproof blanket. Such a blanket works just fine while reducing the outside noise. This works a lot like the curtains around the windows. And, just like the window, it cannot stop the noise leakage completely.
Are you anyhow wondering, how can a blanket soundproof a window from outside noise?
Let me explain that to you.
Blankets are made of materials that are so dense that while moving to another house people wrap materials with it for protection. It saves things from damages on the road.
This dense material of a blanket works as an excellent tool to lessen sound. These materials absorb the sound very well. That is why people consider it as a soundproofing system.
So you can pick the best blanket to serve your purpose. Then you can hang this blanket over the window that invites the noise. For doing so, you might need a curtain rod above the window or you can take the support of hooks.
You can choose the installation process that goes better with your windows. Spending a little bit more money on the blanket will make sure that you get the best result in terms of soundproofing.
After the installation process is complete you will be able to differentiate the outcome.
If you are someone who seeks a calm, peaceful and quiet environment then having a noisy home will make your life worse. When the source of noise is the window of your home, you have the option to work on it to make it completely soundproof.
There are so many ways of doing it without compromising the light that comes through the window. You just pick a suitable option for you and start working on it immediately to ensure your comfort. If you are not so bothered regarding the entrance of the light, then you can completely remove the window. But that would take so many hassles and it would be permanent for a longer time.
Now, you have got a little bit of an idea of how to soundproof a window. You can try all the mentioned ways or experiment in your creative ways to get the best result.